0.24accident frequency rate in 2016
Hull Animal Welfare Trust is a registered charity and has been caring for animals in the Hull and East Riding area since 1982.
Sewell Construction already had a long-established relationship with the charity after building its first kennel block 20 years ago.
The charity’s premises in South Cave had become dated and a new welfare centre was needed as the charity had outgrown the existing facilities.
A new, modern environment was needed to ensure all animals had their own separate areas.
The centre needed to remain open to both staff and the public while the work was carried out, so it was vital disruption was kept to a minimum.
We ensured all of our supply chain teams were briefed on delivery times and the need to be mindful of the charity’s daily dog walking activities, alongside speed limits and general delivery safety.
The charity’s base sits alongside the busy A63 before it becomes the M62, so it was important to monitor noise levels for the project team, as well as staff and visitors, before and during the project. Plans were put in place for radios to be used when required.
Whole life costing was taken into consideration, with early plans made to install solar panels on new and existing buildings to reduce costs long-term. Low energy light fittings and eco sensors were also included in the environmental developments.
From a health and safety perspective, we were mindful of our teams, as well as animals, being on site throughout the whole project and ensuring we did not affect the running of the charity.
We had daily meetings with the charity team to manage access and egress to the site before and during the project, ensuring we could meet any challenges which needed to be addressed each day.
Sewell Facilities Management also had input to offer additional development considerations, with a view to planning for future maintenance.
This partnership is now being cemented to provide the charity with peace of mind around the clock.
The project involved creating a two-storey building which included a flat for an animal warden to be based on site 24/7, alongside offices, an animal recovery room, training room, canteen, toilets and showers on the ground floor.
Approach to the site was a great consideration, as it is a single track road and 24-hour access is required.
Cranes had to use the same access and we planned their arrival, as well as any deliveries, around the charity’s daily dog walking times.
There were several key milestones in the project, from demolition and strip out of existing buildings and installing the steel frame, to fitting the roof, ensuring it was watertight, fitting the windows and landscaping.
Ninety per cent of the supply chain we used was local and daily briefings were held with the on-site team, as well as weekly meetings with contract managers and bi-weekly meetings with the charity, alongside daily conversations to address any challenges on a daily basis.
The location of the building was moved to suit the end users, including helping to create additional parking space.
Engaging with the community was also vital and we informed local residents and businesses about the work taking place. Farmers were also kept up to date, as they also used nearby access points, and daily conversations took place to address any challenges.
Brand new ICT systems were installed, alongside security and fire alarm systems.
Four apprentices were based on site during the project, including one electrician, one joiner and two grounds works apprentices.
Local spend was 100% and 95% of waste went to landfill.
Protection of wildlife and habitats was also part of the environmental work, including installing bat and bird boxes within 15m of the site and checking trees for birds’ nests.
Hedgehogs found on the site were taken to a nearby hedgehog sanctuary.
The project was delivered on time, although additional work which came to light towards the end of the project was carried out on the car park and the team remained on site for a further three weeks.
It was delivered on budget and without any defects.
Any surplus materials generated from the project were donated to local farmers and we completed extra jobs for the charity while we were based on site.
In addition, we donated a kitchen and another local supplier donated a kitchen, oven and a hob.
We held raffles to raise extra funds for the charity through on site collection boxes.