0accident frequency rate in 2019
Workman LLP had an existing building that needed refurbishing to bring it more in line with modern day NHS standards, and knew works within such a specific environment required certain knowledge and expertise.
Sewell Construction was called upon for a full refurbishment of Sutton Manor Surgery, including a reconfiguration of the space to create additional clinical rooms in response to growing patient numbers.
Design consultation and advise was key on this project from the very start, to ensure the end-users were considered at each stage. The space needed to work to create not only a more aesthetically pleasing environment, but a functional and more efficient one too.
Functional design and construction considerations included simplifying the brief based on Sewell Construction’s previous experience on projects of this nature. Recommendations were made throughout the programme based on clinical necessities, such as hygiene requirements, clinical lighting, reconfiguration of the layout to make better use of clinical space and improve flow (i.e., moving beds to more suitable parts of the room).
Additional to the programme was a reconfiguration of the upstairs layout to reduce fire doors and fire compartments so the space could be utilised more efficiently. Even down to the small things such as recommending pre-made IPS panels to cover sink pipes.
Due to the extent of the works, a phased handover approach was also decided to enable the surgery to remain operational throughout.
- Working within a live, clinical environment
- Out of hours working to keep disruptions to a minimum
- Being able to adapt the programme and re-sequence at certain stages in the project in response to surgical needs and demand
- Managing noise levels to reduce disturbances to staff and patients as much as possible
- Maintaining excellent hygiene within a clinical space – removal of dust and always keeping the area spotless
- Security measures – forming new openings for windows – all managed with hoardings and temporary security measures in place to ensure the smooth operation of the surgery throughout the programme
The continuous sharing of expertise, regular communications, and 5 phased handovers later, the result was a project being handed over on time and to budget.
The refurbishment included:
- Full redecoration of the space
- New floor and ceilings
- Full mechanical and electrical refit
- Minor external works including new drainage systems